Did you know that there are “perfect” measurements for your home? Think about your counters, the length of a hanging light, the distance between picture frames. There’s a right height or right length for all of these items and it helps to know, especially if you are planning to take on a few projects of your own! We’re looking at some of the measurements provided from the “Help Wanted: Design By the Numbers” section in HGTV Magazine. Check and see if you measure up or if a few adjustments need to be made here and there!
Appealing to the Eye
- If you have a nightstand next to your bed, make sure it’s 2 inches away from the edge of the bed. You want to have access to the nightstand, but you don’t want your bedroom to look crowded.
- Any pictures, decorative mirrors, or framed art that you have on a wall should be about 2 inches away from each other, both horizontally and vertically. This is the best way to create that gallery look without it looking cramped.
- If you have an area rug near a wall, 12 to 18 inches from the wall will help to make your area rug a focal point and not a misplaced addition to the space.
The Right Fit
- Does your coffee table double as a place to put your drinks or food and a foot rest? Then make sure that your coffee table is around 16 to 20 inches high, so that you can put your feet up comfortably. Quick tip: Check the height of your sofa seats first and then make sure your coffee table is about 2 inches lower.
- We always tell kids, “Don’t sit so close to the TV!” But, we have to make sure we’re aren’t breaking that rule either! The distance between your TV and sofa or chairs should be 72 inches, which is the perfect number for comfortable viewing without the eye strain.
- If you have a kitchen island and are planning to install a pendant light over it, keep the height of the light about 30 to 36 inches above the surface of the island. This distance is high enough to avoid a run-in with the lamp, yet still gives you enough light for the space.
- If you are wanting to get a backsplash or you have a backsplash that needs updating, make sure that the height is between 16 to 18 inches. This height should fit nicely under your kitchen cabinets and will keep you covered if there are spills or splashes from cooking!
Well, now you get to have fun taking a tape measure around your house to make sure everything is where it should be, right? Are there any other measurements around the home you’d like to know about, such as countertop height or how low a chandelier should hang? Comment below and ask us – we’d love to answer your question!